Thursday 28 April 2011

Squirrel Eggs



There are times in life when someone tells you something so incredibly amazing that you have to hold back from smashing your head into a window.

It was a normal day at work, during a normal routine, when my pupil almost ran over a grey squirrel. Big whoop, these little shits are always playing frogger with my car. But she panics and hits the breaks. "eeeeek!" she announces. I remind her to check the mirror, and ask if it was worth it to hit the rodent only to get crashed into. A look to the ceiling tells me she remembers that this information might have been mentioned in class. As a long time listener to CFAX 1040, I have listened to many intellectual and informative talks about just about any subject you can think of. One of them being a story about the grey and black squirrels in the region. I learned that grey squirrels take up most of the population yet are not indigenous to the area, and in fact should be destroyed as they have a negative impact.

So I add to my instruction that perhaps it may have been better to just hit the animal as opposed to being slammed into by that f250 behind us. This is when the student became the teacher. "Ohh, I've heard of these squirrels." "They're bad because the grey squirrels eat the eggs of the black squirrels."
After a brief pause, with a cocked eyebrow and a slight twist of the head, I replied. "Ummm, I'm pretty sure Squirrels are mammals." I expected a response like "oh, right" or "oh, ahaha, I'm so dumb." But instead my brain was stymied once more. I got a very unsure yet assertive "No".

A longer pause. "Soooo, we're going to make the next right turn." I didn't bring it up again, I couldn't. I couldn't bring myself to correct her. Would you like to know why? It's because how could I be so selfish to keep that to myself? How could I take that moment away from the next person that dares bring up the topic of grey squirrels around this person. I'm not that mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment